CentraCare Clinic - DIAMOND Program
DIAMOND: Depression Improvement Across Minnesota, Offering A New Direction
A Better Way To Manage Your Depression
Depression can cause pain and mental suffering. It can remove the joy from your life so you can’t even function. And even when treated, the risk of becoming depressed again remains high. That’s why our clinic offers DIAMOND. It’s a team approach to treating your depression that promises not only to speed your recovery, but to also keep you from falling back into this unbearable condition. DIAMOND is unique in that it changes how your depression care is delivered. A care manager and consulting psychiatrist help your doctor coordinate and monitor your treatment. Also, the majority of DIAMOND patients will have little or no responsibility to pay for these added services.
DIAMOND contains the following components:
- A checklist that helps detect and monitor your symptoms of depression
- A way for the care team to regularly keep track of how you’re doing
- A medical guide to know how best to change your treatment if needed
- A care manager to educate you and help you reduce your depression symptoms
- A psychiatrist to consult with the care team and review your case weekly
- Tools to keep you from falling back into major depression.
A Team Approach
Primary Care Provider
Your doctor remains in charge of your care, but is now assisted by a care manager and a consulting psychiatrist.
The care manager coordinates your care under your doctor’s orders. He or she will contact you frequently to see how you’re doing, educate you on depression, and become a partner in managing your recovery.
The consulting psychiatrist reviews your case weekly with your care manager. If you’re not getting better, they may suggest to your doctor that you see a mental health provider, change medication or alter your care in some other way. Your doctor decides on any changes in your care.
With this support group, it’s easier to be active in your own recovery. The care manager helps keep you on course. You have access to psychiatric expertise. And your doctor always knows how you’re doing. With DIAMOND, you’re not alone.
DIAMOND’s team approach has been proven in almost 40 studies across the U.S. Patients in these studies:
- Recovered from their depression 50% faster
- Reported fewer suicidal thoughts
- Reported 100 more productive days over a two-year period
- Indicated they like this expanded type of care better than what they previously received from their primary care clinic
Benefits of DIAMOND
Many patients don’t beat depression because they drop out of treatment or stay on ineffective medication. With the DIAMOND care manager and consulting psychiatrist monitoring your care, this is less likely to occur.
The DIAMOND Program is offered at all CentraCare Clinic primary care locations.