Quick Tips for Your Doctor's Appointment
Before Your Appointment
- Write down any questions.
- Arrive early for your appointment.
- Bring a list of your signs and symptoms.
- Bring your health history.
- Always bring a list of current medications, including dosages and allergies.
- Tell your doctor about any herbal or other alternative medicines or treatments used.
During Your Appointment
- Ask questions, especially if you don't understand what your doctor has told you.
- If you feel the need, bring someone who can help you ask questions and help you understand and remember answers later.
- Ask your doctor to draw pictures to help explain something.
- Take notes.
- Tell your doctor if you feel you need more time to make a decision on your care.
After Your Appointment
- Call if you have questions.
- Call if your symptoms get worse or if you have problems with medication.
- If you had tests and haven't heard within a week, call for your results.
- Make any appointments suggested by your doctor, for example lab, X-ray or referral to a specialist.