12 ways to good health in 2012 From Spotlight on Health - Winter 2012
1. Begin a holistic approach to health care: Use innovative medical testing as a basis for improving overall health, reducing stress and enhancing quality of life. For details, call Holistic Services at the CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at (320) 240-7841.
2. Complete a health care directive: Let your physician, family and friends know your preferences for end-of-life care and organ donation. File the directive in your medical records. Visit the Minnesota Board on Aging web site for the forms.
3. Exercise: Bundle up and take a walk on a nice winter day. The fresh air will clear your mind and your lungs! Register your entire family for a run, walk or other healthy activity. Subscribe to the BLEND online newsletter for a weekly listing of local wellness activities.
4. Socialize: Plan regular visits with family and friends. Pull out a board game and laugh a little!
5. Call the clinic: Schedule your mammogram, colonoscopy or other health maintenance appointment, including your children’s well-child visits.
6. Find easy, nutritious recipes as well as health information on topics of interest to you: Subscribe to CentraCare’s, free personalized monthly e-newsletter called My Healthy News.
7. Quit tobacco: Enroll in the Nicotine Dependence Program for personalized treatment, support groups, medication therapy and relapse prevention. Call the CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at (320) 656-7020.
8. Read: Curl up on the couch and relax with a book. Take a nap if you feel the urge.
9. Attend a wellness event this year to learn more about your health: Mythbusters: which health & fitness products really work?, Day of Dance and Women’s Health 101.
10. Volunteer: Make a difference in the lives of patients and their families. Contact St. Cloud Hospital’s Volunteer Office at (320) 255-5638 for details.
11. Identify your heart disease risk and customize a plan for minimizing that risk: Modestly priced screening packages include one-on-one consultations with a nurse practitioner, dietitian and exercise physiologist. For details, call the CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at (320) 240-7841.
12. Make healthful food choices: Eat a variety of grains, fruits, vegetables and proteins -- avoiding those high in sugar, carbohydrates and sodium.