Top 10 tips for preventing diabetes (and being healthier)
From Spotlight on Health Nov./Dec. 2006
CentraCare Diabetes Center dietitian Richard Flores recommends the following tips to help prevent diabetes:
10. Get more activity, at least 30 minutes per day most days of the week.
9. Eat three meals every day.
8. Eat more vegetables. Shoot for two to three cups per day.
7. Eat your fruits. Try to limit the amount of juice that you consume.
6. Try to limit snacks to less than 150 calories.
5. Make half of your plate vegetables.
4. Have three servings of low-fat dairy products every day.
3. Bake, broil and grill nearly all of your foods. Avoid frying.
2. When you use oil, use the healthy oils (olive, peanut and canola oils).
1. Watch less then two hours of television per day.
Learn more about CentraCare Diabetes Center.