Hospital expansion nears completion From Spotlight on Health - Spring 2012
The expansion on the east side of St. Cloud Hospital
and south parking lot glow during the early morning dawn.
The $223-million addition to St. Cloud Hospital is abuzz with activity. While the completed exterior is visible from across the Mississippi River, workers inside — including painters, flooring specialists and plumbers — put the finishing touches on patient care areas that are expected to open starting in late May. Other workers are installing equipment that staff will use to provide technologically advanced care.
Operating Room (OR) improvements:
- An OR equipped with 3D “real time” imaging to view patients’ network of blood vessels in vascular, cardiac and trauma cases.
- A special air-handling system, with approximately 70 air exchanges each hour, will remove 99.97 percent of airborne particulates. Compare that to the standard office system, which provides 10-15 air exchanges every hour.
- A pharmacist and pharmacy technician will be stationed in the Surgery department to enhance medication safety.
- State-of-the-art washers and sterilizers will ensure that instruments and supplies meet the strictest infection control guidelines, even while conserving water.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) advances:
- Larger ICU rooms to accommodate new technology and give caregivers access to patients from all sides.
- In addition to a new Critical Care Unit, a Cardiovascular Thoracic Unit (CVTU) will meet the special needs of patients after open heart surgery.
Family Birthing Center enhancements:
- The entire unit will be locked to ensure infant security.
- Retractable ceiling lights in the delivery rooms.
- Two dedicated surgical suites for Caesarean sections, with close proximity to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Other enhancements throughout include family space with couches and desks in patient rooms and improved call light systems for quicker response time.
St. Cloud Hospital is welcoming the community to celebrate the grand opening of the hospital’s 360,000-square-foot addition along the banks of the Mississippi River.