CentraCare Laboratory Home Collection Instructions
Urine Collection - 24-hour Specimen
For proper evaluation of tests on a 24-hour urine sample, it is important that a complete and accurate collection be made.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages during collection time.
- Observe caution labels: Some containers may contain harmful chemical as preservatives. Others must be refrigerated. Containers will be labeled appropriately by the laboratory personnel.
- Keep the collected urine refrigerated. Specimens should be returned to the laboratory as soon as possible after completion of collection.
- Empty your bladder completely when you get up in the morning. DO NOT SAVE THIS SAMPLE.
- Write the time of day on the container of the first voiding.
- For the next 24 hours, save ALL of the urine that you pass in the container provided. Do this all day and night.
- Empty your bladder completely when you get up in the morning. SAVE THIS SAMPLE and add it to the container.
- Write the time of day on the container of the last voiding.
- Return to the laboratory where you received the specimen container.
THE COLLECTION IS COMPLETE.
(If you have any questions, please call the laboratory)
PRECAUTION: If your container contains acid for preservation of the urine, please follow the First Aid instructions.
First Aid if acid gets on you from container: Wash area with large quantities of water and baking soda for at least 15 minutes. Call physician for proper treatment.
CentraCare Laboratory Patient Instructions
1406 Sixth Avenue North
St. Cloud, MN 56303