| Respiratory/Pulmonary Care
Did you know you can receive care for long-term lung illnesses such as bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, bronchiectasis and pulmonary fibrosis in Central Minnesota?
Why choose St. Cloud Hospital to help you with your lung illness?
- Respiratory therapists with expertise. We have more than 40 registered therapists trained to test and treat people of all ages with all types of breathing problems.
- Quality. The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation certified our Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation program (2011-2014). This certification recognizes our commitment to improving quality of life by enhancing standards of care.
- Full range of services to meet your needs.
Inpatient respiratory care to help patients at St. Cloud Hospital with lung illnesses and breathing problems. Therapists also are part of the lifesaving response teams that assist during patient emergencies.
Pulmonary diagnostics lab that tests lung function. Test results help doctors develop a treatment plan for your lung illness.
Outpatient education (pulmonary rehabilitation) to support people with lung illnesses.
Read a Spotlight on Heath feature story about Judy, a pulmonary rehab patient
What tests do you perform in your pulmonary diagnostics lab?
- Pulmonary function tests with and without bronchodialators
- Methacholine Challenge – a test for reactive airway disease
- Diffusing capacity
- Social Security disability testing
- Home oxygen evaluations
- Arterial blood gases
How do you set up an appointment for one of these tests?
Talk to your doctor.
How can you prepare for these tests?
- Download a map and parking information for St. Cloud Hospital.
- Enter hospital door A and go to the information desk.
- Appointments range from a half hour to 1½ hours, depending on your test.
- Talk to your insurance company about coverage before your test.
- A scheduler will call you before your test to prepare you for the visit and answer questions. Feel free to call us at (320) 251-2700, ext. 55696.
- Bring any medicine you use to your test.
What outpatient education is offered by St. Cloud Hospital for lung illnesses?
Respiratory therapists and other health care workers oversee education for people with long-term lung illnesses. This team tailors the education to meet your needs. The classes can help you:
- Live more comfortably and independently
- Improve your daily living
- Control your illness
- Avoid hospital stays
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
This two-hour class meets twice a week for eight to nine weeks. Classes are small to allow for one-on-one time with staff.
The class will cover:
- Lung function and disease
- Breathing and relaxation
- Saving energy and simplifying work in daily activities/self pacing
- Graded-exercise training using breathing skills efficiently
- Quitting smoking
- Talk to your doctor.
- Most insurance plans cover the cost of pulmonary rehabilitation. Call your insurance company with benefit questions.
- A family member or friend can join you for the education portion of the sessions.
Post-Rehabilitation Maintenance Program
This program builds physical endurance. It helps you strengthen the skills learned in outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation classes.
The class will include:
- Exercise endurance training
- Respiratory assessment before, during and after exercise
- Talk to your doctor.
- This program is self pay. A few insurance companies may cover a part of the program’s cost. Please call your insurance company.
St. Cloud Hospital also offers a Breath Savers Support Group for people with long-term lung illnesses.
St. Cloud Hospital can help you manage your long-term lung illness. Take the first step by calling us at (320) 251-2700, ext. 54345.
1406 Sixth Ave. N.
St. Cloud, MN 56303
Respiratory Care, (320) 255-5675
Pulmonary Diagnostics, (320) 255-5696
Outpatient Education, (320) 251-2700, ext. 54345
For appointments with a pulmonary medicine doctor, please contact CentraCare Clinic - River Campus Pulmonary Medicine department at (320) 240-2207.