|Spiritual Care Services - Stephen Ministry
Are you experiencing a
difficult time in your life?
Life is full of ups and downs. Sometimes life
may seem more than you can handle alone.
Are you adjusting to:
- the death of a loved one?
- a serious illness?
- a change in marital status?
- a new job?
- a recent move?
- a difficult time because of other
Do not struggle alone.
A Stephen Minister can listen and help you
get through confusion, stress or loneliness.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…
- A child of God who walks beside
a hurting person.
- A caring Christian who really listens.
- A member of the community who has
received 50 hours of training in how
to provide distinctively Christian care.
- A person who is ready to focus
on your needs.
- A trustworthy confidant who will keep
everything you say and your identity
- Someone who will faithfully meet with
you on a regular basis.
Is a Stephen Minister
right for me?
Stephen Ministry is right for you if your basic
coping skills are intact, but you could use
another’s caring presence to assist you as
you journey though life’s transitions and
Our Stephen Ministers provide confidential,
one-to-one Christian care to help you
through a difficult time. In rare occasions,
Stephen Ministers must share confidential
information in order to save a life. Those
occasions are suicide, homicide or abuse.
If your Stephen Minister feels you need
greater assistance, he or she will encourage
and help you in seeking professional care.
How can a Stephen Minister
On any given day, 27 to 49 percent of St. Cloud
Hospital inpatients do not declare a spiritual
community. Stephen Ministers fill this
spiritual gap for our patients, employees or
volunteers who are:
- Terminally or chronically ill.
- Hospitalized or recovering at a home or
- Grieving the death of a loved one.
- Anticipating the birth of a child (planned
or unplanned) and the families involved.
- Disabled or caring for an ill or disabled
- Dealing with divorce or separation.
- Unemployed or in a job crisis.
- Lonely or discouraged.
- Facing a life transition.
- Experiencing a spiritual crisis.
- In the process of moving into or out of
- Facing countless other life challenges or
transitions and could benefit from the
care of a supportive Christian friend.
How can I find out more?
If you or someone you know (a friend,
neighbor, coworker or relative) could benefit
from this type of care, get in touch with a
Stephen Minister today.
The Stephen Minister process:
1. Call Spiritual Care at (320) 251-2700,
ext. 54621, or ask your nurse to make an
EPIC referral to Spiritual Care for a
2. The Spiritual Care Referrals Coordinator
meets with you to talk about Stephen
3. With your permission, the Referrals
Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister
to meet with you on a regular basis.
4. The Stephen Minister provides distinctly
Christian and strictly confidential care.
5. Stephen Ministers meet twice monthly
for peer group supervision, a forum
which provides support and advice for
Stephen Ministers while maintaining
Stephen Ministry is a free service sponsored
by St. Cloud Hospital Spiritual Care.
1406 Sixth Avenue North
St. Cloud, MN 56303
Phone: 320-251-2700, ext. 54621
Toll Free: 800-835-6652,