Magnet Hospital Designation
St. Cloud Hospital is a Magnet designated hospital.
The American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC), Magnet Recognition Program designates health care organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice. St Cloud Hospital has received Magnet Recognition 3 times since 2004. St Cloud Hospital is 1 of only 3 health care organizations in Minnesota to currently have this designation. We believe this commitment to quality is important for patients, families, nurses, physicians, advance practice providers and multidisciplinary teams.
Consistent with our focus on excellence, St. Cloud Hospital strives to recruit and retain professional, compassionate staff and leaders who support our initiatives in healthy work environments and excellent outcomes. The Magnet Components are integrated with St. Cloud Hospital/CentraCare Health’s cultural belief of “Our Best For You” and our “Triple Aim” goals to improve the health of the community, enhance the patient experience and reduce the cost of care while keeping our focus on people. We believe our vision of excellence encourages curiosity, partnerships and learning in professional practice as represented in our Nursing Professional Practice Model (PPM): The Compass
To achieve Magnet Recognition, we must complete an application process that shows evidence of our processes and outcomes. After a review of the written documents, Magnet surveyors come for an onsite visit to assess our organization. The Magnet Components we are required to prove are: Transformational Leadership, Structural Empowerment, Exemplary Professional Practice, New Knowledge and Innovations, and Empirical Outcomes.
We know patients and their families rely on Magnet Designation as the highest credential a health care organization can attain for nursing quality. It is recognized as a gold standard of nursing excellence. Patient and employee feedback is an important part of how we continually improve. St. Cloud Hospital is an exciting organization working to build trust and relationships to enhance the care we give and serve the community.
“A journey to nursing excellence is lived out by each nurse and nurses collectively. Empowered nurses create curiosity and commitment to design a meaningful future”
- Roxanne Wilson, PhD, RN, Magnet Program Director
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did St. Cloud Hospital seek Magnet Recognition?
St. Cloud Hospital recognizes that our positive patient outcomes are a result of team effort, and Magnet is a way to recognize and maintain those efforts. Magnet honors the strong nursing and interdisciplinary team practice and each individual’s commitment to quality patient care.
What is Magnet?
The Magnet Recognition Program is administered through the American Nurses Credentialing Center. It was established in 1990 and provides a method of recognizing hospitals that create and maintain a professional practice environment that ensures quality patient outcomes.
Magnet is the highest national or international recognition for excellence in the delivery of nursing services that are provided in a professional practice environment, promote quality and evidence-based practice, and result in positive patient outcomes.
What are the characteristics of Magnet hospitals?
Research has identified the following characteristics that are present in Magnet organizations:
- Flatter organizational structure
- Higher nurse-to-patient ratios
- Collaborative relationships with physicians
- Broad-based participation in decision-making related to clinical care
- Limited use of agency personnel
- Nursing research which enhances clinical practice
- Flexible patient care delivery systems
- Higher percentage of B.S.N.-prepared nurses
- Influential nurse executives
- Investments in education and expertise of nurses
- Decreased turnover rates for registered nurses
- Nurses perceive that they have adequate support services and registered nurses to provide high-quality care
- Shorter patient length of stay
- Lower utilization of ICU days
- Lower mortality rates for Medicare patients
- Increased patient satisfaction
Magnet Hospital Benefits
- Magnet recognizes and supports systems that achieve high-quality patient outcomes.
- Magnet establishes a competitive advantage in the recruitment of all health care staff who enjoys working in the professional practice environment that Magnet hospitals offer.
- Magnet hospitals are recognized for their positive community interaction and their strong community presence.
- Magnet culture reinforces a work environment with positive, collaborative relationships where the team works together to accomplish the best outcomes for the patient.