Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Prepare for your office visit by defining your goals, organizing your symptoms and making a list of questions.
- What is wrong?
- What causes it?
- How serious is it?
- Am I contagious?
- How will it affect me in the future?
- What activities do I need to avoid?
- Do I need a follow-up visit?
- When should I call if I’m not better?
- Should I watch for anything special?
- Can you give me information about the medicine?
- What is the medicine for?
- How should I take it and for how long?
- What side effects are likely? What do I do if they occur?
- Is this medication safe to take with other medicine or dietary supplements?
- What food, drink or activities should I avoid while taking this medicine?
- Why do I need this test?
- What can I expect during the test?
- How reliable is the test?
- What if I don’t have the test?
- How much will the test cost? Will insurance cover it?
- How and when will I get the results?
Read additional Appointment Tips