Abdominal Aorta Duplex Ultrasound
Purpose of the Test
This ultrasound helps us see the abdominal aorta, the main artery within the abdomen. It uses high frequency sound waves. This test gives details about the size of the artery and blood flow in the artery.
- Before your test, do not eat or drink after midnight. Do not use nicotine six hours before the test. No other special preparation is needed.
- Take prescribed medicines unless told not to by your doctor.
- Wear normal street clothes.
- Once in the test room, you will lie down on a table or bed.
- We will place a probe on your abdomen. Sound waves will bounce off the artery and create a picture on a video screen. You will feel nothing during the test except slight pressure when the probe is placed firmly against the skin.
- We will take several pictures. When done we give the information to the doctor for review. The test takes 20 to 40 minutes.
If you have any questions, please call:
CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at 320-656-7020 or 800-448-3455