Renal Artery Ultrasound
Purpose of the Test
This ultrasound helps us to see the arteries that supply blood to the kidneys. It uses sound waves to create pictures. This test finds blockages within these arteries.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight. Do not use nicotine 6 hours before the test. No other special preparation is needed.
- Take prescribed medicines unless told not to by your doctor.
- Wear normal street clothes.
- Once in the test room, you will lie down on a table or bed.
- We will place a probe on your abdomen. Sound waves bounce off the kidneys and arteries and create a picture on a video screen. You will feel nothing during the test except slight pressure when the probe is placed firmly against the skin.
- We will take several views. When done we give the information to the doctor for review.
- The test takes 60 to 90 minutes.
If you have any questions, please call:
CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at 320-656-7020 or 800-448-3455