Gated Blood Pool Study (MUGA Scan)
Purpose of the Test
This test evaluates the function of the left ventricle of the heart. It will look at the motion of your left ventricle and the amount of blood it can squeeze out with each beat. The test results will help your doctor decide the best treatment for you.
- There are no special preparations needed for this test.
- Take prescribed medicines unless told not to by your doctor.
- Wear normal street clothes.
- The test takes place in Nuclear Cardiology at the CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center.
- We will take a small blood sample through a vein in your arm using an intravenous (IV) port.
- We will label the red blood cells found in this sample with a small amount of radioactivity.
- We will wait 20 minutes and then reinject your radio-labeled blood into your vein through your IV.
- You will then lie down on a table.
- We will attach three electrodes to your chest.
- We will take two images of your heart with a gamma camera. Each picture will take 15 minutes.
- The whole test may take 1 to 2 hours.
If you have any questions, please call:
CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at 320-656-7020 or 800-448-3455