Transcranial Doppler Exam
Purpose of the Test
This ultrasound test is often used to evaluate and diagnose a small hole between the chambers of the heart.
- Take prescribed medicines unless told not to by your doctor.
- Wear normal street clothes.
- Once in the test room, you will lie down on a table or bed.
- We will start an intravenous (IV) line.
- We will place a probe on the side of your head in front of the ear. You may feel slight pressure when the probe is placed firmly against the skin.
- We will place several injections of sterile water into the IV while recording the blood flow in the cerebral arteries.
- When done we give the information to the doctor for review.
- The test takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
If you have any questions, please call:
CentraCare Heart & Vascular Center at 320-656-7020 or 800-448-3455