Pediatric Hospital Medicine Program
What is pediatric hospital medicine?
St. Cloud Hospital has the only Pediatric Hospital Medicine Program in Central Minnesota. Pediatric hospitalists are doctors who only work in hospitals. They care for children in the St. Cloud Hospital birthing center and pediatric unit. Ranging in age from newborns up to 18, these children have a wide variety of health care needs.
What type of training do pediatric hospitalists have?
These doctors have had at least:
- Four years of medical school
- Three years of pediatric residency training
Who do pediatric hospitalists provide care to within the hospital?
Pediatric hospitalists care for children with a wide range of illnesses and health care needs, such as:
- Infectious illnesses
- Breathing issues such as pneumonia, croup and RSV
- Long-term illnesses such as diabetes and asthma
- Common childhood illnesses such as flu and dehydration
- Recovery from injuries or surgeries
- Care of newborns