Skip to Content
Home > Wellness > Health Library > Disc Battery in the Nose
Disc batteries (also called button cell batteries) are found in toys,
watches, hearing aids, cameras, calculators, and some remote-controlled
devices. These batteries are small, usually less than
0.5 in. (1.3 cm) across, and
can be easily inserted into the nose.
A disc battery in the nose must be removed immediately. The moist
tissue in the nose can cause the battery to release strong chemicals (alkali)
quickly, often in less than 1 hour. This can cause
serious damage to the sensitive mucous membranes lining the nose.
If you or your child has a disc battery in the nose, do not use nose drops or sprays of any type. This can cause
the battery to corrode more quickly.
To remove a disc battery from the nose, have the child breathe
through his or her mouth since the nose is blocked and try the
If you are not able to remove the disc battery, contact your doctor immediately. If you are not
able to contact your doctor, go to the nearest hospital emergency
Current as of:
June 4, 2014
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & David Messenger, MD
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Our interactive Decision Points guide you through making key health decisions by combining medical information with your personal information.
You'll find Decision Points to help you answer questions about:
Get started learning more about your health!
Our Interactive Tools can help you make smart decisions for a healthier life. You'll find personal calculators and tools for health and fitness, lifestyle checkups, and pregnancy.
Feeling under the weather?
Use our interactive symptom checker to evaluate your symptoms and determine appropriate action or treatment.