Skip to Content
Home > Wellness > Health Library > Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by
getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with
running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most
people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic
substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
Current as of:
June 4, 2014
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Our interactive Decision Points guide you through making key health decisions by combining medical information with your personal information.
You'll find Decision Points to help you answer questions about:
Get started learning more about your health!
Our Interactive Tools can help you make smart decisions for a healthier life. You'll find personal calculators and tools for health and fitness, lifestyle checkups, and pregnancy.
Feeling under the weather?
Use our interactive symptom checker to evaluate your symptoms and determine appropriate action or treatment.