Savory Beet Soup
Recipe adapted from myrecipes.com
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium beets, peeled and halved
- 1 medium potato, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth, water, salt, pepper, beets, potato and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until beets and potato are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Place one-third broth mixture in blender or food processor; process until smooth. Place puréed mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining broth mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan. Warm soup over low heat for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice.
- Combine ½ cup soup and the sour cream, stirring with a whisk. Divide soup evenly among each of 8 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture; swirl sour cream mixture using the tip of a knife.
Yield: 8 servings (each about ¾ cup)
Nutrition Information Per Serving
|Savory Beet Soup