Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus Reduction Salad
Recipe adapted from myrecipes.com
- 4 medium beets
- Cooking spray
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups torn Boston lettuce
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat beets with cooking spray. Bake at 400º for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until tender. Cool beets slightly. Trim off beet roots and stems; rub off skins. Cut beets into ½-inch thick wedges.
- Bring juice and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Pour into a medium bowl; cool slightly. Add shallots, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Combine lettuce, watercress and radicchio. Sprinkle lettuce mixture with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; toss gently to combine. Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture on each of 8 salad plates. Divide beets evenly among salads. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing over each salad; sprinkle each salad with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information Per Serving
|Winter Salad with Roasted Beets and Citrus Reduction Dressing