Open Accessibility Menu

Imported Infant Formulas Approved Safe For Babies In U.S.

Published in Birthing Services, Pediatrics, For the Health of It

Due to the ongoing national formula shortage, several infant formulas have been approved by the United States Government to be imported into the U.S. They are starting to arrive at our local stores and become available online. The federally approved formulas are safe and can be a healthy alternative for infants. New imports continue to be approved regularly. Please reference the sources listed below as they will be updated routinely.

Most of the imported formulas are very similar to formulas made in the U.S. However, there are a few differences to be aware of:

  1. All formulas should be labeled in English. The mixing instructions may use milliliters rather than ounces (30 milliliters = 1 ounce), or list temperature in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.
  2. Formulas are typically categorized by “Stages.” Stage 1 is for babies 0-6 months and Stage 2 is for babies over 6 months of age.
  3. Imported formulas may be lower in iron than U.S. formulas. The iron content should still be sufficient. However, infants should be consuming iron-fortified baby foods regularly once developmentally appropriate.
  4. Goat milk-based formulas are common and are safe for the normal growth and development of infants.
  5. Read the label closely! Most imported formulas use a different scoop size than U.S. formulas. Mixing instructions may be different (such as 1 scoop per 1 ounce of water instead of 1 scoop per 2 ounces of water). Some imported versions of the same product, such as Similac Total Comfort, have different mixing instructions. Always read the mixing instructions!
  6. If your child is on a specialty formula recommended by your child’s health care provider, speak to the provider prior to switching the formula to ensure an alternate formula is appropriate.
  7. Only purchase imports that have been federally approved.

If you have questions about formula, you should reach out to or make an appointment with your child’s pediatrician.