Family Medicine Residency
The University of Minnesota/St. Cloud Hospital Family Medicine Residency program offers a three-year residency in Family Medicine. The program has been in existence since 1996 and focuses on developing caring, competent physicians for primary care practice in communities of the Midwest. To sharpen the focus of our program we developed our purpose statement, core values and strategic imperatives.
Our 5/5/5 program is St. Cloud Hospital's only residency program. The program's academic sponsor is the University of Minnesota. In 2013 we are proud to say we received the maximum accreditation of 10 years from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The ACGME's New Accreditation System (NAS) allows a maximum accreditation of ten years.
The University of Minnesota/St. Cloud Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program provides:
- A new, state-of-the-art, 19,000 square-foot building.
- A comprehensive education for family physicians, including the skills needed to practice in rural communities.
- Instruction in family-oriented primary care emphasizing patient-centered medicine.
- Allopathic procedural training that will enable you to care for the type of problems seen most often in rural settings.
- A supportive environment with a well-rounded and diverse faculty.
- An opportunity to develop lifelong learning skills to help you continue to provide quality care throughout your practice.
- High faculty-resident ratio (1:2).
- Teaching by physician faculty whom, on the average, have greater than 24 years of practice experience as family physicians.
- Strong commitment and financial support from the sponsoring community hospital.
- Fully integrated Electronic Medical Record (both clinic and hospital).
- 86% of our graduates are practicing in communities in the Midwest, 76% in Minnesota, 55% are practicing Obstetrics, and 41% are practicing in towns of < 20,000.