Step 1: Explore our volunteer opportunities
Learn about volunteer positions available
Step 2: Application materials
- Application - To apply for a volunteer position, submit an online application. Junior volunteers must also submit a completed Parental Consent Form (PDF). After your application is received, you will receive a confirmation email with information regarding the next steps in the process.
- Recommendation - Identify people who can vouch for your character and your work abilities, preferably work or education-related references. Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted. Recommendations must be received within 60 days of receiving your application.
Step 3: Interview
- After your application materials are received, we will review your application. If your qualifications, background and availability indicate a match to the position/s we have available, you will be contacted for an interview. The interview offers us a chance to discuss your application, your schedule and your specific volunteer interests, as well as opportunities currently available that might be suitable for you.
- Offers of volunteering - All offers of volunteering are contingent upon successfully passing screening requirements.
- Background study - If you have been made an offer to volunteer click here to start the background check process
- Volunteers in patient service roles must complete a free health screening which includes:
- Review of your health history
- Immunization verification. Please see our Immunization Requirements (PDF)
- Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test (also known as a Mantoux test)
- Urine drug test
Step 4: Hospital orientation
Orientation includes a live session, tour, uniform, ID badge and computerized education modules. Computerized education modules may be completed online with instructions given during the interview.
Thank you for thinking of CentraCare Health. We look forward to having you on our volunteer team!
How long does the application process take? Can I start right away?
The entire application, screening and orientation process takes an average of three to four weeks to complete.
I don't see the position I am interested in on the listing of opportunities. Can I request to volunteer in a department that isn't listed?
Not every department has a need or the resources to accommodate volunteers. The positions listed have been developed to effectively utilize volunteers. We rarely are able to place volunteers in departments not listed.
How many hours do most volunteers work?
Most volunteers start out with one three or four-hour shift a week. Volunteers who are interested in picking up additional shifts are encouraged to discuss options with Volunteer Services.
Are there any opportunities in the evenings or on the weekends?
Yes, although opportunities are limited and fill up quickly. The busiest times and greatest need for volunteers are weekdays between 8-4 p.m. Please refer to the Opportunity Directory for areas with evening and weekend availability.
Is there an age limit for volunteering?
The minimum age for volunteering is 14 years old. There is no upper age limit.
I would like to work with children or babies. Is that a possibility?
To work with children and infants volunteers must be aged 18 or older and have graduated from high school. If you are interested in working with children, we encourage you to explore our Child & Adolescent Specialty Center position at the CentraCare Health Plaza or the Children’s Center position at St. Cloud Hospital. Position descriptions can be found in the Opportunity Directory.
We do not have a baby-rocking program. Positions with our infants are very popular and seldom have openings. If we have an opening, we look for volunteers who have provided at least 50 hours of service to St. Cloud Hospital and are willing to commit to one year of continuous volunteering.
Can I volunteer and fulfill some community service or court-ordered service hours?
It depends. We are not able to accept volunteers with misdemeanor or felony charges other than minor driving violations. We do not accept volunteers performing court-ordered community service. If you need to fulfill some community service hours for a reason other than court-ordered service, keep in mind that all volunteers must serve at least 58 hours.
Do you offer internships or shadowing opportunities?
No. Individual departments coordinate their own internships. Job shadowing is arranged through our Education Department or Medical Staff Office.
I would like to find employment at St. Cloud Hospital or CentraCare Health. Does volunteering guarantee me a job?
No. All employment is arranged through Human Resources.
The purpose of the St. Cloud Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary is providing service, public relations and fundraising for the St. Cloud Hospital and its programs. Each year, funds are raised by the Auxiliary through the Gift Gallery, baby photos, lobby sales and other activities. Hospital programs request financial support for projects not funded through other sources.
View the 2014 Volunteer Services Yearbook (PDF)