Stool Collection - Occult Blood
CAUTION: For accurate test results, read patient instructions completely before performing this test.
- For accurate test results, apply samples from bowel movements collected on three different days to slide.
- Do not collect sample if blood is visible in your stool or urine (e.g., menstruation, active hemorrhoids, and urinary tract infection). Contact your physician.
- For the most accurate test results collect each stool sample before contact with the toilet bowl water. You may use the collection tissue provided or any other clean, dry container.
- Return completed slide to your doctor or laboratory no later than 14 days after your first sample collection.
- Protect slide from heat, light and volatile chemicals (iodine, ammonia, bleach and household cleaners).
- Remove toilet bowl cleaners from toilet tank and flush twice before proceeding.
- Don’t use beyond expiration date.
- For seven days before and during the stool collection period, avoid nonsteroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, naproxen or aspirin (more than one adult aspirin a day).
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be taken as needed.
- For three days before and during the stool collection period, avoid vitamin C in excess of 250 mg a day from supplements, and citrus fruits and juices.
- For three days before and during stool collection period, avoid red meats (beef, lamb and liver).
- Eat a well-balanced diet, including fiber such as bran cereals, fruits and vegetables.
- Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about medications you take regularly.
- 100% of RDA of vitamin C for an adult is 60 mg per day.
- Some iron supplements contain vitamin C in excess of 250 mg.
Specimen Collection Procedure
- Remove slide from paper dispensing envelope. Using a ballpoint pen, write your name, age and address on the front of the slide. Do not tear the sections apart.
- Fill the sample collection date on section 1 before the bowel movement. Flush toilet, and allow to refill. Unfold flushable collection tissue and float on the surface of the water. Allow edges to stick to sides of bowl. Let stool fall into collection tissue. Collect sample before it contacts the toilet bowl water. You may use any clean dry container to collect your sample.
- Open front of section 1. Use one stick to collect a small sample. Apply a thin smear covering Box A. Collect second sample from different part of stool with same stick. Apply a thin smear covering Box B. If used, flush collection tissue and discard stick in a waste container. DO NOT FLUSH STICK.
- Close and secure front flap of section 1 by inserting it under tab. Store slide in this paper envelope until the next day. Important: This allows the sample to air dry. Do not place sampled slide in any moisture-proof material such as plastic bags. Do not store slide in refrigerator at any time.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for the next two days using sections 2 and 3. After completing the last section, store the slide to dry in this paper envelope overnight. The next day, remove slide from this paper envelope and place in the mailing pouch. Seal pouch carefully and immediately return to your doctor or laboratory.
Questions? Call (320) 255-5999.