Home Collection Instructions
Urine Collection - 24-hour Specimen
For proper evaluation of tests on a 24-hour urine sample, it is important that a complete and accurate collection be made.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages during collection time.
- Observe caution labels: Some containers may contain harmful chemical as preservatives. Others must be refrigerated. Containers will be labeled appropriately by the laboratory personnel.
- Keep the collected urine refrigerated. Specimens should be returned to the laboratory as soon as possible after completion of collection.
- Empty your bladder completely when you get up in the morning. DO NOT SAVE THIS SAMPLE.
- Write the time of day on the container of the first voiding.
- For the next 24 hours, save ALL of the urine that you pass in the container provided. Do this all day and night.
- Empty your bladder completely when you get up in the morning. SAVE THIS SAMPLE and add it to the container.
- Write the time of day on the container of the last voiding.
- Return to the laboratory where you received the specimen container.
THE COLLECTION IS COMPLETE.
(If you have any questions, please call the laboratory)
PRECAUTION: If your container contains acid for preservation of the urine, please follow the First Aid instructions.
First Aid if acid gets on you from container: Wash area with large quantities of water and baking soda for at least 15 minutes. Call physician for proper treatment.
Questions? Call (320) 255-5999.