CentraCare Health – Monticello is a team of health care providers working together to deliver comprehensive, high-quality care in a compassionate environment, close to home.
CentraCare Health – Monticello's wide range of high-quality services include:
Our mission works to improve the health of every patient, every day.
We will be the leader in Minnesota for quality, safety, service and value.
CentraCare Health - Monticello's Executive Team is committed to investing in growth and ensuring financial viability in order to continue to fulfill our mission of providing patient-centered care. With the support of our board members, physician partners, leadership, employees and community members, CentraCare Health - Monticello will continue to prosper as the provider of choice for the health needs of our community.
Mary Ellen Wells, Administrator
Dr. John Hering, Chief Medical Officer
Troy Barrick, Division Director, Support Services
Lynn Christian, Division Director, Acute Care Nursing
Kris Hammer, Division Director, Finance
Steve Pareja, Division Director, Clinical Services
Meet our Operating Committee
Patient & Visitor Information
11 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Patient and visitor parking is available in front of the hospital building.
A drop off and pick up area is designated at the main hospital entrance.
CentraCare Health - Monticello's Cafeteria is open daily from 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Vending machines are located in the cafeteria and near the hospital's Fireside Lobby.
CentraCare Health - Monticello provides free wireless internet service at the hospital for patients, residents and visitors.
Hartfelt Gifts offers a great selection of flowers, balloons and gift items. The gift shop is located near the hospital's Fireside Lobby. Hartfelt Gifts is managed by the CentraCare Health – Monticello's Auxiliary and staffed by volunteers.
Hartfelt Gifts is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The gift shop offers a selection of gifts that can be ordered over the phone and delivered to your family member or friend while they are in the hospital. Orders are accepted during normal business hours and can be purchased using Visa or Mastercard.
Be sure to ask the gift shop volunteer about cards, specialty items and seasonal gifts that are also available.
In 1929, Dr. William E. Hart and his family moved to Monticello, Minn. Dr. Hart and his wife Mildred, a registered nurse, saw patients at their Monticello office. In 1936, the Hart’s practice was licensed by the State of Minnesota as a five-bed hospital after two young men were confined to Dr. Hart’s care following a car accident. Dr. Hart began providing care at the Hart Hospital in Monticello because it was not always practical to transport sick patients to hospitals in St. Cloud or the Twin Cities. As the years passed, the Hart Hospital’s services continued to grow to meet the community’s health care needs. In 1941, the Hart Hospital was expanded to 15 licensed beds.
The Hart Hospital was privately owned and according to state law, once Dr. Hart discontinued his practice, the hospital could not be relicensed, as private hospitals were no longer permitted in Minnesota.
In 1960, with Dr. Hart’s retirement on the horizon, a committee of area residents organized to investigate the formation of a hospital district to ensure the future of health care in the Monticello area.
Monticello-Big Lake Community Hospital District was formed in 1961 and included the Villages of Monticello and Big Lake and the Townships of Becker, Big Lake, Monticello and Silver Creek. The Township of Otsego was officially annexed into the district in 1962. To become a member of the district, each village or township board had to pass a resolution proclaiming their intent to join the district and then hold a special election if so petitioned by their constituents. Elected board members began meeting in 1961 to make plans to build a hospital that would serve the area’s health needs when the time came for Dr. Hart to retire and subsequently the Hart Hospital to close.
In order to fund the construction and equipping of a new hospital building, the hospital district asked voters to approve a general obligation bond that would be used to acquire hospital facilities and provide adequate working capital. Construction of the new hospital building began in March of 1964 and the new hospital was opened for patient care on July 1, 1965.
In 1977, the hospital district purchased the local nursing home and in 1979 the Big Lake – Monticello Ambulance Service.
For the first 39 years of its history, the hospital in Monticello operated as Monticello-Big Lake Hospital. In 2009, the Board of Directors voted to change the name to New River Medical Center to more accurately reflect the organization's position as a regional health care service provider and to encompass a broader geographic area. On April 1, 2013, New River Medical Center officially joined CentraCare Health and became CentraCare Health – Monticello to provide enhanced health care services to the surrounding communities.
Today, CentraCare Health – Monticello provides comprehensive, high-quality care to meet the needs of our community including a modern birth center with OB/GYNs and midwives; state-of the-art Monticello Cancer Center; family medicine and internal medicine care at CentraCare Health – Monticello Medical Group; 5 star rated Care Center; individualized diabetes education; skilled Emergency Department and Level IV Trauma Center; advanced life support ambulance service, comprehensive orthopedic care; inpatient and outpatient surgical services and wound care and hyperbaric medicine services.